Rgbstock forum

forum > General chat > translation please?

translation please?

1. jazza28 June 2010, 10:25 GMT +02:00

Can anyone help me with this one. A cryptic header from the Sun. What does is mean?

"Jez fury at Beeb's barmy barbie ban"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3031043/Top-Gear-host-Jeremy-Clarksons-fury-at-BBCs-barmy-barbecue-ban.html

2. xymonau28 June 2010, 11:13 GMT +02:00

I'm not Pomgolian, but I think it means:

Jez - a short version of Jeremy (in Australia, we turn names like Barry or Karen or Sharon into "Bazza or "Kazza" or "Shazza" so I think it's related)

Beeb - the BBC

barmy - means crazy or daft

barbie - barbequeue

So, Jeremy was angry about what he considered to be a ridiculous ban by the BBC on a barbequeue segment on his show.

3. krayker28 June 2010, 11:51 GMT +02:00

blimey! I'm gobsmacked :P

thanks for deciphering it, Dez, ...for the rest of us idiots who follow the rather plain & dull English. I'm off to colloquial 101.

4. crisderaud28 June 2010, 13:32 GMT +02:00

The Urban Dictionary has rescued me from confusion plenty of times.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

5. jazza28 June 2010, 21:44 GMT +02:00

Do they speak English in England? Thanks for the explanation. The Sun headers sometimes are real poems.

6. krayker29 June 2010, 6:38 GMT +02:00

yeah, I use the UD often too. pretty handy resource. yet another crowd sourced project. its so nice to see ourselves amongst other projects, who believe in sharing with the world :) at least, I feel happy that I have contributed/ given back in some way to the community!

7. crisderaud29 June 2010, 12:09 GMT +02:00

Had to use the Urban Dictionary to find out what Pomgolian is. I'm no where close to being a Pomgoloid. Wonder if Dez has papers to back her claim?

8. xymonau29 June 2010, 13:45 GMT +02:00

Cris, I never called you a Pomgolian. You're a septic.

9. micromoth29 June 2010, 14:03 GMT +02:00

@8 Er, I think you mean sceptic. Poor Cris - I'm sure he's never been called septic before.

10. crisderaud29 June 2010, 17:17 GMT +02:00

I never said you called me a Pomgolian. Once I found out the meaning I was relieved to know I couldn't possibly be one. Your claim was that you were not a Pomgolian and I was curious to know if you carried a card to prove your distinction? :)

She has the word septic stuck in her mind from brewing up the soup!

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera

in den Leuchtkasten legen . FAQ . Kontakt . ABG . Nutzungsbedingungen . Über . www.hqstock.com free stock photos totally free stock photos stock photos high quality free stock photos totally free stock photos totally free stock photos totally free stock images free stock images editors' pick alternative to sxc.hu Rgbstock blog and news
| English | Deutsch | Español | Polski | Português | Nederlands |
Shutterstock is official partner of Rgbstock